19th Century Painted Stained Glass Panel by Emil Frei
Emil Frei Sr.,born in Bavaria in 1869 was alarmed by the direction that Germany was heading and immigrated to New York where he would be free to practice his art. He later moved to St.Louis and started his own stained glass company, Emil Frei Art Glass, in 1898. A large portion of the studio was built by the Franciscan Friars of St. Anthony of Padua as payment for the windows for their church. During the tenure of Emil Sr., the studio became known for some of the highest quality Munich pictorial stained glass windows in the world. This piece was among many monumental Munich pictorial stained glass panels acquired in St. Louis.